The Grove of the Ancients
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A safe haven for those who seek refuge from a society that does not understand them and those who seek other open minds like their own. We talk about anything & everything but our main focus is Otherkin, religion/spiritual, Metaphysical, Occult, etc.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Astral Projection depicted in games

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Registration date : 2008-06-21
Male
Number of posts : 654

Astral Projection depicted in games Empty
PostSubject: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptyMon May 04, 2009 6:45 pm

alright, so, in the interest of anylizing D&D spells... what about Astral Projection? in the books the insist that it is a way to leave your physical body to astrally project into the Astral Plane. though they have a lower level spell that allows you to travel physically to ANY plane, including the Astral Plane. now, this does seem very odd to me... but that is not what this is about, so moving on..

in the Player's Handbook the spell takes 30 minutes to cast, and requires the expenditure of an expensive jacynth and a silver bar for each participant the catser brings along. there doesn't seem to be much anything to it beyond concentrating for half an our on the stone and silver bars to free the partcipating spirits from their earthly bodies. how accurate do you guys feel this is? i tend to feel that a deep astral projection could be achieved as quickly as a few minutes if one can reach the proper state of mind that quickly. the launching isn't realy any effort.

also, let us imagine how difficult it could be to ensure that the silver cord stays attached during the casting of the spell. what if the caster frees the spirit(s) from the body/bodies too forcefully, or too freely. the possibilities of sending the characters souls out of their bodies permanantly by mistake i think should be included... opinions people?

in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, the Astral Caravan power has a manifestation time of 1 hour, has no display at all. it is simply an hour long meditation before launching oneself into the Astral, with a group who also must meditate for an hour. i do feel that this version of it, which is also only a 3rd level power, not a 9th level, is much more accurrate, though i still feel that the manifestation time isn't accurrate. it is definately better for the game of course, but we're talking about how close it is to the actual real lif epractice.

now, what i want to ask is what you think of these two versions, and if they miss anything, or detail anything that yo ufeel is incorect.
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Registration date : 2008-03-31
Female
Number of posts : 805

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptyWed May 20, 2009 1:34 am

Twilight do you think you could try and better clarify what you're trying to say in this topic? Your speech seems a bit more difficult to read than normal.
Back to top Go down
http://nyghtshaydeen.deviantart.com
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptyThu May 21, 2009 5:39 am

um.... i'm not sure i'm able to realy....? ^_^; could you ask which specific parts you are having trouble comprehendng? i will explain those specifically.
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptyThu May 21, 2009 5:07 pm

TwilightInsanity wrote:
um.... i'm not sure i'm able to realy....? ^_^; could you ask which specific parts you are having trouble comprehendng? i will explain those specifically.
Uh...paragraphs 2, 3, and 4 need to either be re-word or better details. It is a bit difficult to understand. I can't tell if you were trying to use the D & D type language and that's why or if it is something else entirely.
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:42 am

._. whole paragraphs? darling i'm sorry, but i just can't realy work with that much .... what's the word... vagueness.... alright? i'm just not realy a word person... could you please be as specific as possible?
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptyFri May 22, 2009 6:57 pm

TwilightInsanity wrote:
in the Player's Handbook the spell takes 30 minutes to cast, and requires the expenditure of an expensive jacynth and a silver bar for each participant the catser brings along. there doesn't seem to be much anything to it beyond concentrating for half an our on the stone and silver bars to free the partcipating spirits from their earthly bodies. how accurate do you guys feel this is? i tend to feel that a deep astral projection could be achieved as quickly as a few minutes if one can reach the proper state of mind that quickly. the launching isn't realy any effort.
So okay I'm not entirely understanding. Is it when trying to cast a group astral projection experience there needs to be a silver bar to represent each person who will be paritipating in the exercise or no? And I fail to see how this could accurately relate to real life considering you don't need silver or any offerings of that nature for an entire group to astrally project, so long as the right elements are provided, in place, or about. Being in large groups often triggers the ability to do something you normally have not been able to do, especially if you are in a room of people whos vibrations are higher than yours.

Quote :
also, let us imagine how difficult it could be to ensure that the silver cord stays attached during the casting of the spell. what if the caster frees the spirit(s) from the body/bodies too forcefully, or too freely. the possibilities of sending the characters souls out of their bodies permanantly by mistake i think should be included... opinions people?
Are you asking for an opinion on this ability as to whether or not it should be modified for the "in case this happens" event? That is all stuff that is dependant upon the GM. If the GM says that happens it does. As far as real life goes I'm pretty certain that can't and would not happen unless you are expelling a demon or spirit, etc. I'm not entirely sure how one would go about severing the cord of life from one's body and soul. From what I understand only spirits or demons or ill will can do such a thing and even then if you get lost temporarily all you have to do is start becoming consciouly aware of your body again. Emotions can be a handy tool indeed.

Quote :
in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, the Astral Caravan power has a manifestation time of 1 hour, has no display at all. it is simply an hour long meditation before launching oneself into the Astral, with a group who also must meditate for an hour. i do feel that this version of it, which is also only a 3rd level power, not a 9th level, is much more accurrate, though i still feel that the manifestation time isn't accurrate. it is definately better for the game of course, but we're talking about how close it is to the actual real lif epractice.
That's where I say if it doesn't work modify it so it does. Quite frankly I think both of these things are ridiculous and neither properly describe a mass astral projection ritual. Your language for these paragraphs are too much like the book and don't sound like yours. Perhaps, as I've mentioned, you might care to rephrase them so they are a bit more understandable. I am trying to be clear myself but it is difficult when I'm not understanding what is being asked or said. To be honest I have to have friends often translate rules for me from the D&D handbook because they make no sense sometimes when they are read.
Quote :
now, what i want to ask is what you think of these two versions, and if they miss anything, or detail anything that yo ufeel is incorect.

I think I already stated my opinions on all of that in the above commentary for each paragraph, trying to clarify myself as best as possible. I just hope it helps this time.
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptySat May 23, 2009 8:42 am

th silver bars are focus components that each participant holds onto and concentrates on.

alright, so there isn't any risk of completely exiting one's body while trying to astrally project? i was always curious about that, tried to be cautious so as not to launch myself out too violently except in desperate situations.

realy? o.o i find that ingeneral the D&D rules are easy to understand once you get the terminology down. and i realy did translate the rules into my own speach, i thought it was pretty obvious! o_O;

if i may ask, what would be an accurate description of a multi-particepant astral projection ritual then? i would like to compare one to the D&D rules. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptySat May 23, 2009 4:05 pm

TwilightInsanity wrote:
th silver bars are focus components that each participant holds onto and concentrates on.
Okay so I was right about that. Course in real life there are no costs to astral projecting, only words of caution.

Quote :
alright, so there isn't any risk of completely exiting one's body while trying to astrally project? i was always curious about that, tried to be cautious so as not to launch myself out too violently except in desperate situations.
Well I'm not entirely certain about that. You're always going to stay attached to your body unless your cord is severed by something or someone. But from some of my reading there was mentioning that if your cord was severed you would have so much time before your body would eventually die. However they suggest in that event to just become aware of your body, your breathing, temperature, etc and you should fall back into it. Your guide I believe can help you if you get lost as well.

Quote :
realy? o.o i find that ingeneral the D&D rules are easy to understand once you get the terminology down. and i realy did translate the rules into my own speach, i thought it was pretty obvious! o_O;
Not entirely it still sounds very technical. Usually when I am presented with technical jargon I put it into serious laymen's terms so everyone can understand including dummies. While I am not trying to emphasis I'm an idiot I just understand things differently is all I am saying and though it may have to sound like it is totally dumbed down at least it is understandable to all.
Quote :
if i may ask, what would be an accurate description of a multi-particepant astral projection ritual then? i would like to compare one to the D&D rules. Smile
I don't know. I've never actually heard or participated in one in real life so I don't even know if they exist. Typically when people are in big meditation groups they find themselves accidently astrally projecting because their vibrations have been raised by the people in the group session. So I believe that is a question that will have to go unanswered unless you try and do some of your own personal research and try and do a search for "Group Astral Projection".
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games EmptySun May 24, 2009 7:19 am

huh... oh well..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Astral Projection depicted in games   Astral Projection depicted in games Empty

Back to top Go down

Astral Projection depicted in games
Page 1 of 1