The Grove of the Ancients
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A safe haven for those who seek refuge from a society that does not understand them and those who seek other open minds like their own. We talk about anything & everything but our main focus is Otherkin, religion/spiritual, Metaphysical, Occult, etc.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Registration date : 2008-03-31
Female
Number of posts : 805

Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey Empty
PostSubject: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 7:02 am

By some peoples perspectives there is only the two sides, Good and Evil. However many don't take into consideration that there are also the 'many shades of grey'. With that said, Good and Evil we can most likely say is just a state of mind and that 'many shades of grey' are the factor that is dependent upon what one's perspective is on Good vs. Evil. Least that is my own opinion. Anyone else have something that want to share or add?
Back to top Go down
http://nyghtshaydeen.deviantart.com
Nataku
Adept
Nataku

Registration date : 2008-04-02
Male
Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:16 pm

true good and evil is perspective
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Registration date : 2008-06-21
Male
Number of posts : 654

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 3:38 am

this has been an area of much of my contemplations in life.

i will start off that i can clearly understand the belief that there is a single Right path and everything else is evil. in a certain way it makes sense, it seems liek it HAS to b ethat way! after all, if there isn't a single holy truth, than what purpose is there in the world? looking at it this way, if there wasn't a single Right way -- a Good and an Evil -- then lif eitself would be very very depressing, as though there was no point. nothing to strive for.

looking at it the other way, that good and evil are merely subjective concepts, this view is supported by the fact that nobody is evil because they think they are evil and purposely do evil acts, and if they are then those people are seriously messed up in the head. most if not everyone believe that what they think is Right IS Right.

now, this can be argued. just because someone thinks that they are right doesn't mean that they are. fools abound, the unwise are plenty. a verse from the bible states "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers great harm."

personally, i believe that good and evil are subjective. there are many paths to take, but no single path is Right for everyone. individuals have their own fates, their own places to be, their own morals to follow. those many moral codes will conflict with eachother, and so opinionated men and women will argue, and maybe even fight. i do think though that there cannot be a single Truth. the only constant after all is Change.
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 7:57 pm

TwilightInsanity wrote:
this has been an area of much of my contemplations in life.

i will start off that i can clearly understand the belief that there is a single Right path and everything else is evil. in a certain way it makes sense, it seems liek it HAS to b ethat way! after all, if there isn't a single holy truth, than what purpose is there in the world? looking at it this way, if there wasn't a single Right way -- a Good and an Evil -- then lif eitself would be very very depressing, as though there was no point. nothing to strive for.

personally, i believe that good and evil are subjective. there are many paths to take, but no single path is Right for everyone. individuals have their own fates, their own places to be, their own morals to follow. those many moral codes will conflict with each other, and so opinionated men and women will argue, and maybe even fight. i do think though that there cannot be a single Truth. the only constant after all is Change.

I think I can agree with that. Let me give you an example someone once gave me about the action of murder.
Person 1: Is the victim
Person 2: Is the murderer or the person meant to kill person 1.
If person 2 is successful in killing person 1 then has he not completed a course of his own destiny as well as been a tool of karma?

Allow me to explain. My friend explained it like this, he generally said that if a person is murdered who is to say it was not the victims time? Who is to say that was where there destiny within this point of time ended and the murderer or killer merely the tool of karma or destiny to ensure that, that occurred.

Granted I don't exactly know how well myself this would work. I think it takes another perspective a bit of reflective thinking to truly uncover all that is hidden within a scenario of this nature. But this is a scenario that takes into account the good, evil, and shades of gray, least that is my own perception.
Back to top Go down
Nataku
Adept
Nataku

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 9:08 pm

but in those reguards, you cannot have every person walking around looking to murder another and claim it justice.

since you cannot allow some murders, as much as they were probibly deserved, and punish others because they were 'unjust', we choose to outlaw the entire taking of life.

its not that good vs evil much anymore, its the traits groups within them. killing is not evil, we kill to eat meat, swat pests, ect... its cruel when causes suffering and wrong when we dislike it, but ok when its unavoidable. see the problem? too many paradox.
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 10:01 pm

i have mentioned before i have desensitized myself to alot of death and killing and suffering of people. i see it as what it is, life ending, simple as that. i would kill if i had to, but i'm not going to go out of my way and look for a victim to murder. by the sam token, i'm not a big fan of codified laws in fact, i am quite against them. i prefer teh idea of ALL matters being handled sepperately by a Council o Senate. they decide what they think together, take it to vote, and then pass judgement and if nessasary place sentence. but it would not be a written law, not a strict "this is what happens to people who do this." the system of codified laws is too easy to corrupt. i am not saying that even this system cannot be corrupted, but i think it would a little more difficult if everyone was in the state of mind to look at their honest opinion of who deserves punishment or not, rather than who broke the law.
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 7:35 pm

TwilightInsanity wrote:
i prefer teh idea of ALL matters being handled sepperately by a Council o Senate. they decide what they think together, take it to vote, and then pass judgement and if nessasary place sentence. but it would not be a written law, not a strict "this is what happens to people who do this." the system of codified laws is too easy to corrupt. i am not saying that even this system cannot be corrupted, but i think it would a little more difficult if everyone was in the state of mind to look at their honest opinion of who deserves punishment or not, rather than who broke the law.

I definitely agree. A council of some sort of Senate to decide judgments such as 'Death Penalties' and the like actually might be good. It's not entirely removing the moral concepts people have and at the same time gives them the opportunity to think hard on the matters at hand.

Nataku wrote:
but in those reguards, you cannot have every person walking around looking to murder another and claim it justice.

True enough. But it's just the idea that there can be some reason more for a death being necessary. In some cases the lose of a loved one can result in yes, depression, but how those people come out of those sorts of situations will either dictate they are stronger now then they were before or they could spiral out of control...resulting in maybe their own death.
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 4:12 am

every action bears a consequence. no matter what you choose there will be some regret. if you let a murderer go then still someone is left with an empty void. if you punish or kill the murderer than whoever knew him and cared about him will be upset. all in all, life remains bittersweet, and i wouldn't have it any other way.
Back to top Go down
Nataku
Adept
Nataku

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:21 am

TwilightInsanity wrote:
every action bears a consequence. no matter what you choose there will be some regret. if you let a murderer go then still someone is left with an empty void. if you punish or kill the murderer than whoever knew him and cared about him will be upset. all in all, life remains bittersweet, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

aye, and ones being an acessory and the other is justice

imagine that?

im not being sarcastic to poke you, im just stating society today is....meh
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 pm

it is true. the world today is sickening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey   Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey Empty

Back to top Go down

Good Vs. Evil And Many Shades of Grey
Page 1 of 1