The Grove of the Ancients
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A safe haven for those who seek refuge from a society that does not understand them and those who seek other open minds like their own. We talk about anything & everything but our main focus is Otherkin, religion/spiritual, Metaphysical, Occult, etc.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Registration date : 2008-03-31
Female
Number of posts : 805

The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore Empty
PostSubject: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 2:35 am

Arianrhod - The goddess and mother who apparently stepped over Math ap Mathonwy's rod and popped out a young boy and a blob. The young boy was named Dylan and the blob was absconded by Arianrhod's brother Gwydion and raised by him.

Danu (Irish/Celtic Earth goddess) / Don (Welsh Equivalant)

Gwydion - One of the greatest gods/mages who ever lived.

Llew Llaw Gyffes - the blob that changed into a baby who grew into a boy and became a man after his uncle tricked his mother Arianrhod into naming him and arming him since she had denied him both these things, including a human wife.

Lugh - Sun god of the Celts and master of many skills.

The Dagda (The All Father of the Irish Celts)

The Horned God / Cernunnos - is a Celtic god of fertility, life, animals, wealth, physical love, nature, woodlands, reincarnation, crossroads, wealth, commerce, warriors and the underworld, etc. He was worshipped all over Gaul until his influence eventually spread to Britain. He went by many names including God of Nature; God of the Underworld and the Astral Plane; Great Father, etc.
Other links on this god: Joelles Sacred Grove

Bran the Blessed

Branwen - Sister of Bran the Blessed

The Goddess Brigit

Heros:
Irish Hero Cúchulainn

I am adding more to this so just keep your pants on. XP

Last edited by Lady Ehzra on Fri May 08, 2009 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://nyghtshaydeen.deviantart.com
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Registration date : 2008-06-21
Male
Number of posts : 654

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 5:54 am

hmm... you know, these gods and goddesses in the historic mythologies tell of the origins of both the Celt an the Fae... it is said that the Fae were the Tuath'De Danaan, the People of Dana, her descendants... and that they had went to Ireland and routed the Firbolgs (who were likewise interlopers) and then created variousartifacts. the Celts came in later, had some great war, and then do to some standstill they dvivided the land in half. the Celts got to choose how it was divided, and they chose abovegrtound and belowground. they banished the Tuatha'De Danaan to live beneath th earth, but for some reason began worshipping them and their ancestors as gods. i neer fully understood it because i havn't had time to go over my sources.
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 6:03 pm

TwilightInsanity wrote:
hmm... you know, these gods and goddesses in the historic mythologies tell of the origins of both the Celt an the Fae... it is said that the Fae were the Tuath'De Danaan, the People of Dana, her descendants... and that they had went to Ireland and routed the Firbolgs (who were likewise interlopers) and then created variousartifacts. the Celts came in later, had some great war, and then do to some standstill they dvivided the land in half. the Celts got to choose how it was divided, and they chose abovegrtound and belowground. they banished the Tuatha'De Danaan to live beneath th earth, but for some reason began worshipping them and their ancestors as gods. i neer fully understood it because i havn't had time to go over my sources.

Yes that is information I am familiar with and I do find it a bit odd. Perhaps it was because they realized the Tuatha were indeed a worthy advisary and should be respected. From what I understand in another legend when Ireland faces, essentially, Armageddon the Tuatha will once again rise from the depths of the earth to protect Eire. My best-friend Zac is a history buff and he's studied the Tuatha more than myself so I trust his information considering he always does an intense amount of research on a topic he decides to focus on and study.
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 5:27 am

glad to know! ^_^ i had taken a break from continuing the research on this, but there will be a history lesson of ireland from the stone age to now at the library. so that should help.
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 6:13 am

One can only hope it would.
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 6:14 am

if anything lse, it will cover anything i may have overlooked.
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 3:42 pm

True enough. I actually have a rather good history book on the Celts and Celtic society written by an expert on the subject matter. The Celts: A History by Peter Berresford Ellis, you might just try picking that up as well for reading and research material. I have found it useful and handy in the things I do for instance.
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 8:32 pm

i'll have to do that! ^_^

i also will be likely soon looking into other correlations between the Tuatha'De Danaan and the Greco-Romans.... i want to take a look at everything involved, try to proove the exhistance of the Fae by giving them a thorough genealogy investigation.
Back to top Go down
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan
Admin
Lady Gwendolynn O'Danaan

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 4:13 pm

lol Now THAT would be something! ^_^ I'd look forward to it!
Back to top Go down
TwilightInsanity
Grove Master
TwilightInsanity

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 5:40 pm

^_^ i am sure it wouldn't be impossible to proove.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore   The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore Empty

Back to top Go down

The Gods and Goddesses of Celtic/Welsh Myth/Legend/Lore
Page 1 of 1